NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center San Diego (NAVSUP FLC San Diego) provides logistics, business and support services to fleet, shore and industrial commands of the Navy, Coast Guard and Military Sealift Command and other joint and allied forces. NAVSUP FLC San Diego delivers combat capability through logistics by teaming with regional partners and customers to provide supply chain management, procurement, contracting and transportation services, technical and customer support, defense fuel products and worldwide movement of personal property.
In the early 1900s, Pacific Fleet ships routinely anchored in the harbor at the foot of Broadway making it a natural site for a supply depot. In 1922, the Naval Supply Depot, San Diego was formally established. A small pier was constructed and the first materials were moved into the Depot's warehouse in February 1923.
In 1941, the current Navy Pier was built and a south wing added to the original six-story supply depot. A seven-story warehouse was constructed alongside in 1943. That same year, the Depot was assigned management of the La Playa Coaling Station at Point Loma. Built in 1904, La Playa Coaling Station was the first permanent Navy logistics shore establishment in San Diego. By the late 1940s, eight more warehouses were constructed at the Broadway Naval Station Annex to support expanding material storage needs.
The significant growth in the Naval Supply Depot's customer base resulted in its recommissioning as the Naval Supply Center San Diego in 1959. A sister supply center in Long Beach closed in 1973 as part of a Navy initiative to streamline shore establishments and NSC San Diego assumed logistics support for the Naval Shipyard, Naval Station, and ships homeported in Long Beach. In 1980, as a result of additional consolidation, NSC San Diego assumed responsibility for selected Naval Air Station North Island Supply Department aviation material and related functions.
In 1992, NSC San Diego transferred its warehouse operations to the Defense Logistics Agency, payroll and accounting operations to the Defense Finance and Accounting Center, and data processing operations to the Defense Information Systems Agency as part of DoD streamlining initiatives to reduce costs. Based on these changes and related infrastructure studies, the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center concept was born.
With a new mission to become logistics partners with shore and industrial activities, FISC San Diego established memorandums of agreement in the ensuing years with numerous Navy and Marine Corps commands in the southwest region. Today FISC San Diego has business partnerships with Naval Base Coronado; Naval Base San Diego; NAS North Island; Fleet Readiness Center Southwest; Commander, Marine Corps Air Bases Western Area; Naval Air Facility El Centro; NAS Fallon; Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake; Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach; Naval Surface Warfare Centers Corona and Port Hueneme; Auxiliary Landing Field, San Clemente Island; Outlying Landing Field, San Nicholas Island; NAS Lemoore; Southwest Regional Maintenance Center; Naval Support Detachment Monterey; Naval Base Ventura County; Fleet Engineering Command Southwest; and Commander, Navy Region Southwest (CNRSW).
On July 25, 2003, as part of the NAVSUP transformation initiative, FISC San Diego became the lead FISC, responsible for facilitating efficiencies and common policies and procedures across the seven FISCs located in San Diego, Calif.; Norfolk, Va.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Yokosuka, Japan; Pearl Harbor, Hawaii; Bremerton (Puget Sound), Wash.; and Sigonella, Italy.
Between 2003 and 2005, substantial changes in the scale of operations and global supply support necessitated a structure of a separate Echelon III command, and the reestablishment of FISC San Diego as an Echelon IV command. In July 6, 2006, the CNO directed the creation of two distinct commands by formally establishing Commander, Fleet and Industrial Supply Centers (COMFISCS) on Aug. 1, thereby allowing FISC San Diego to focus on local logistics issues, and to serve as logistics program director for CNRSW.