Welcome to the Official Navy Household Goods website. Information contained on this website is Navy specific entitlements, however, the basic move process applies to all DoD services.
HHG Webinar Schedule
News & Alerts
First step to the moving process is to ensure your computer browser is compatible with the Defense Personal Property System. The attached explains how to check your browser.
The Defense Personal Property System (DPS) has added a new function that allows you to upload ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. The attached guide will explain the process and show samples of uploading documents For step-by-step instructions on submitting an application, please review our guides by clicking the DPS tab at the top of the page.
Please read the below information and then CLOSE this window before returning to your open DPS application web page.
Who Should NOT be using DPS?
If you are doing any of these following shipment types, contact your local Personal Property Shipping Office (PPSO). To locate the nearest office click here and type in your state for a list of available offices.
- If you are moving personal property as "Next of Kin"
- Summary Courts Officer
- Joint Moves (if you are in two different services, each member creates separate move application) If you are unsure of your eligibility to use DPS, please call the Household Goods Customer Contact Center at 1-855HHG-MOVE (855-444-6683) or email email@example.com.
DPS CAN is used for:
- Self-Counseling ? eliminates the need to visit a Household Goods (HHG) or Personal Property Shipping Office (PPSO).
- Manage your HHG shipments online: schedule delivery; request to extend storage entitlements; check the status of shipment(s); file Loss/Damage claims online and complete your Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSS)
Personally Procure Move (PPM) information:
- Navy members separating in a "non-pay status" are not eligible for an advance payment.
- First-time Movers are not eligible for an advance payment.
- Locations serviced by the One-Time-Only rate program are not eligible to do a PPM.
- All other Navy members must provide a copy of a vehicle rental reservation or Transportation Service Provider?s estimate to be eligible for a funds advance.
REQUIRED after entering information into DPS:
- Applications are NOT processed until ALL supporting documents have been received at the origin counseling office.
- Required documents are:
- A copy of your orders
- Basic HHG shipment (where a TSP is assigned): dd Forms 1299 & 1797 (these forms are available for printing at the end of the DPS application process). A SIGNED application form MUST BE received before your shipment can be processed.
- Supporting documents may include order modifications, page 2, power of attorney, Enlistment Contract/Appointment Letter, etc
Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSS)
MUST BE COMPLETED AFTER YOUR MOVE
The CSS is the only way to score your moving process. This tool is used to rate the Transportation Service Providers (TSP aka moving company). Only quality moving companies are eligible to handle military moves. Complete a CSS for each and every shipment.
Go to http://www.move.mil/, log into your DPS account, click the tab marked "Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSS)" and answer the 12 questions to evaluate your move.
DPS (http://www.move.mil/) Help Desk technical assistance: 800-462-2176 option 5; commercial at 618-220-7332; or DSN at 312-770-7332; or https://eta.sddc.army.milcontactasp?app-DPS
Entitlement assistance: contact your local Household goods (HHG) Personal Property Shipping Office (PPSO) or the Navy HHG Customer Contact Center at 1-855-HHG-MOVE (855-444-6683) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Moving Acronyms / Glossary
- Continental US
- Consolidated Personal Property Shipping Office
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Defense Finance and Accounting Service
- Electronic Funds Transfer
- Full Replacement Value
- Household Goods (personal items to be packed/shipped)
- Joint Federal Travel Regulation
- Joint Personal Property Office
- Joint Travel Regulation
- Military Claims Office
- Non-Temporary Storage (long term storage)
- Outside the Continental United States
- Professional Books Papers and Equipment (also known as Pro Gear)
- Permanent Change of Station
- Personally Procured Move (formerly known as DITY)
- Personal Property Office/Personal Property Shipping Office
- Storage-in-Transit (temporary storage)
- Traffic Management Office
- Transportation Service Provider (aka moving company)
For a more detailed list go to http://www.move.mil/common/acronyms.cfm.
What do I need to get started
Jump to Move page